Why is it important? Sleep heals the body.
- hormones are released for growth and development
- regulates appetite hormones
- helps the body burn fat efficiently
- decreases sugar and excess carbohydrate cravings –helps control weight
- consolidates memories and deletes unimportant information
- moves memories to long-term storage to make room for new ones
- increases your efficiency at sports, playing instruments, and math and reading skills
What happens if you don’t get enough sleep?
- harder to remember things
- body gets sick faster
- decreased healing abilities
- sugar and food cravings –feel moody
- growth hormones are released during kids sleep so growth rate is slowed down or stunted
- trigger for diseases including type 2 diabetes
- poor performance in school or at sports, music,etc.
How many hours do I need a night?
- Newborns: 12-18 hours
- Infants – 11 months: 14-15 hours
- Toddlers (1-3): 12-14 hours
- School age (5-12): 10-11 hours
- Teens (11-17): 8.5 – 9.25
- Adults: 7.5-9 hours